LSI Corporation (NYSE: LSI) today announced enhanced features for its SandForce SF-2200/2100 Client Flash Storage Processors (FSPs) specifically designed to satisfy the stringent power consumption requirements of Ultrabooks while also providing the superior performance benefits of flash-based technology.
LSI Flash Storage Processors are the intelligence that manages flash memory in solid state drives (SSDs) and delivers the performance and power efficiency benefits needed for the fast-growing Ultrabook market segment. The new LSI SandForce power management optimizations enable SSD manufacturers to develop drives that extend battery life and reduce system boot and wake times, critical requirements in today’s growing class of thin-and-light Ultrabook platforms. Fueling increased adoption of SSDs, the Ultrabook market is forecasted to grow at a compounded rate of 92 percent through 2017.
“Client computing customers are increasingly turning to the benefits of flash-based products to accelerate application performance and deliver an enhanced user experience,” said Jim Handy, SSD analyst for Objective Analysis. “With their high performance and sleek, lightweight designs, Ultrabooks are experiencing strong growth, and the power and performance benefits enabled by flash storage processors such as LSI’s SandForce FSPs are a key part of the appeal.”
With the improved features, LSI SandForce SF-2141, SF-2241 and SF-2281 client FSPs offer strong benefits for Ultrabooks:
- Consume less power, providing as much as one hour longer battery life2
- Enable faster system boot and wake times
- Meet the low Z-height product requirement of Ultrabooks
- Support SATA 6Gb/s drive connectivity from 24GBs through 512GBs of NAND flash memory
- Provide support for virtually all MLC flash product families
“LSI has shipped well over 10 million3 SandForce FSPs and we anticipate our shipment volumes will continue to increase, driven by the exploding demand and lowering price points for NAND flash technology,” said Thad Omura, vice president of marketing, Flash Components Division, LSI. “LSI SandForce FSPs deliver impactful enhancements to the everyday computing user experience and design benefits that are especially valuable to Ultrabook manufacturers.”
For more information on LSI SandForce FSPs, visit: www.lsi.com/sandforce.
(1) Published report by TechSci Research, titled Global Ultrathin Portables Market Forecast &
(2) Measured with the MobileMark07 Battery Life Rating.
(3) Total production unit shipments since 2010.